Daily Calendar with Titles Hover
Modification on the default-templates and Dawn's php calendar tutorial. The hover technique is from css/edge.
hover a date to see the titles below it.
This calendar was the idea of a poster
on the Movable Type Forums, and created with the above resources. You are welcome to use it on your site (a linkback to blogstyles.com
would be welcomed but not required). The idea is that your dates of the calendar can be hovered over and the titles of that day will appear below it.
Instructions and requirements for use:
- The calendar uses PHP for the rotating colors, and so the page it is on should be saved with a .php extension.
- In the Blog Config under Archiving, you should have Daily archiving turned on.
- The calendar should be placed in a fixed position on the page because it uses absolute positioning to show the hover text. A good example of this would be the top of the sidebar, or in the top of an unmoving table. If you have an entry list above it that could change, the title hovers won't change with it. This also means you need a fixed space that's empty below the calendar for the tiles of entries to appear in it.
- You should be familiar with CSS and positioning to use this - if you haven't used either, its definitely going to be more of a challenge. CSS positioning doesn't work in all old browsers, and some browsers will not display the hovered titles at all.
- It is highly recommended that this calendar be created in a new Index Template (with an output filename of something like calendar.php) and then included with PHP into your pages. This will cut down the rebuild time substantially.
A sample of php include code follows -
<? include('/home/USERNAME/public_html/blogdirectory/calendar.php'); ?>
The code used to create this calendar is shown below (the links point to entries on my journal, kadyellebee.com
. The CSS has comments for what the different classes do. You can view the source of this page to see how the calendar looks in its full format instead of just the MT tags.
If you have questions, you can post your questions on the MT forums thread
. Good luck!